Saturday, December 28, 2013

At the end of Christmas

A lesson about Christmas:
This was a special time for my family, not only because my parents from Oregon visited, but also because it was the first Christmas for our daughter Ruthann. We shared many meals, games, carols, stories and many many sweets.  We laughed a lot and oogled over Ruthann as more of her personality shows.  She loves to put everything in her mouth, she loves to sing and to say Ooohhhh.  She also loves to stare for hours at the lights on the Christmas tree and she also calms down from any fussing just as soon she gets outside.  She is hilarious.  This Christmas it was a gift to be able to spend time together. Aside from all the time with family, I saw something especially meaningful about the Christmas story- I saw the story from a parent's perspective.

After much anticipation Ruthann was born right on time.  She was a beautiful girl from day one and everyone was smitten with her.  I love to hold her and to look at her.  I love to comfort her and to carry her around.  I love to show her new things and I love to show her off.  She is so sweet and my heart now melts as she is now smiling at me when I come into the room.  I didn't know it was possible to love a little person so much. As I think about her future, I want only the best for her and I want her to be safe and I want her to be protected.

The birth of Christ contrasts with my daughters birth.  Mary's pregnancy was scandalous, the journey to where Jesus was to be born was long and hard, and he was born in the crudest of facilities. There were no celebrating friends, no clean sheets, and no comfortable accommodations.

The king of kings enters the world as the lowliest of peasants.  I am sure the birth is not what Mary or Joseph imagined when they heard that the baby born would be the messiah. (the shepherds and wise men must have been a great encouragement.)  I'm sure Mary and Joseph imagined something different for Jesus's life other than controversy.  I am sure they didn't think that their son would be condemned to death as a criminal. Christ's journey was very difficult one (an understatement), but also- it must have been extremely hard on his parents.  Mary and Joseph heard others say that he was the messiah, others said he was a prophet, others said he was a blasphemer, and the rulers said he was a criminal. Jesus's life was marked by suffering and those around him also suffered.

Christmas is a great time of year, but it also reminds us how Christ suffered.  This year I look at the story through a parent's perspective and ask, "Why would God let his own son suffer so much?"  "Why would a loving father allow such horrible things to happen to his own son?"  It doesn't make since unless we consider his motivation and it is found in the most familiar verse in the whole Bible:

 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so ever believes in him shall not perish but have ever lasting life." - John 3:16

He allowed his son to suffer because he so loved the world.  It is God's love that allows him to use suffering to reach the world.  It is hard to imagine a love so deep as to allow such suffering.  The truth of the matter is that God's love is deeper than I can imagine and he does not avoid temporary discomfort to demonstrate his love.  This year I have caught a little better glimpse of how much the father really does love us.  (For more reading of difficult times in store for believers- read Hebrews 12:1-13)

Financial need:
This time of year I hear at least four advertisements a day asking for donations. Like the so many others, Young Life is able to operate because people give.  My funding goal is to raise $3,000 monthly.  If  30 people donate $100 per month, the goal would be met. I would like to ask you to pray about being a financial donor and consider giving $100, $50, or $25 per month. We also welcome one-time gifts as well. Please pray for one week about being a donor.  If you feel led to be a financial partner you can make donations by opening the "partnering" tab at the top of this page.

Prayer need:


  1. Please pray for safety for our students as they are back home now during Christmas break.  Many are going to places that are not safe, where many hardships are brought on by drug and alcohol abuse.  Pray that the kids would be safe and that they would continue to seek God on their own.
  2. Chevak is a village on the western coast of Alaska and a group of adults would like to start Young Life.  Pray for volunteer leaders and for a clear direction for the ministry as this would be our first fully native led group in the state.


It has been a great privilege to be able to be involved in the ministry and I can't thank you enough for taking part in it too.  Blessings to you and your families during this holiday season.

Aaron Routon
My parents (Gary and Debbie) and Puffin and Ruthann



No comments:

Post a Comment