Thursday, April 21, 2016

April Guys Camping Trip

Our group aboard the F/V Kathleen
This past weekend 14 of us went on a camping discipleship retreat (3 Leaders and 11 Mt. Edgecumbe guys). We read the Bible, we worshiped, we shared stories from our lives,we ate great food, we relaxed away from the dorms in a great house on an island, and 9 of us climbed a volcano. This was the first time I have ever had guys willing to be vulnerable and share in front of a group of their peers about what really happens at home.  Many of these kids face very difficult things daily at home.  It was great to be able to share about how God can change us and our circumstances.  God is really working in this group of guys and several in the group have expressed a desire to share what they have learned about God with their friends and families back home. Here are a couple of quotes from the weekend.
  • "Young Life has helped me see that my life is valuable, and I without Young Life I would be in a very bad place."
  • " When I first started coming to Young Life things in my life were very hard and going to Young Life has really helped things in my life get better."
  • " I constantly feel like I am not good enough and looking in the Bible reminds me of the truth."
  • "I had fun at camp and learned a lot of things.  It is pretty amazing what God does."
  • This was the best weekend ever in all m my time at Sitka".
  • 5 of the 7 guys who climbed Mt. Edgecumbe said it was their favorite thing they have done at Mt. Edgecumbe.
Us on the top of Mt. Edgecumbe
We are so honored to get to glorify God and it is a privilege to see how he changes people.

Prayer Requests
  • prayer for these guys and the rest of the Mt. Edgcumbe students as they return home in 2 weeks.
  • BETHEL:Young Life:  Bethel is the largest hub city in rural Alaska and there are a group of people who would like to start Young Life to reach out to all the kids who wouldn't come to church.  Prayer as we build partnerships with existing ministries and look for volunteers.  Strategically... Bethel is the best place to reach a huge portion of rural Alaska.
  • Committee: Sitka Young Life is looking for more adults who feel called to do behind the scenes work to help make Young Life more effective.
Thanks for partnering with us.
Areal view of Bethel

No comments:

Post a Comment