Friday, August 23, 2013

Miracles and Prayer Requests

         God’s timing is different from mine and doesn’t always make
sense, yet I am reminded, that through joy and pain, God can be
trusted.

Emily and I are waiting for the arrival of our first born.  Emily is
feeling uncomfortable and is ready for the baby to be born.  These are
exciting times around our house and we will be sure to let you know
when the baby comes.  Emily’s mom Cynthia is up visiting we are all
now just waiting.

          I would like to share about three things that have recently
happened in which will impact my work with Young Life.  The first
miracle, I was talking with my childhood friend John Macy about my
position and he said that I needed to talk with his father-in-law Ed
Hatch. Ed works with a company called Breakthrough Partners and they
specializes in helping Christian organizations work together in order
to more effectively accomplish a common goal.  Ed shared some of the
principals his company uses to help organizations be more effective in
their missions.  These principals have really influenced how I see
Young Life becoming involved in rural Alaska and how Young Life can
partner with Christians already in the villages.   One of the
principals I appreciate most is using the strategy of empowering local
leaders and seeking their solutions to problems.

      The second miracle: a few weeks ago I was going fishing when I
came across a boat that needed towed back into town.  I brought them
back into town and they gave me a salmon.  Later I found out that one
of the people in the boat is the president of the local Alaska Native
Sisterhood chapter.  Through a friend I learned that she was a
Christian and very excited about reaching her people with the gospel.
I went to meet with her and she was very excited about partnering
together to reach native kids.  It would be a very big deal to partner
with this highly esteemed native organization
A picture taken with my phone

          The third miracle: I called last year’s MEHS student body
president to talk with him about some exciting things happening with
Young Life in regards to his school.  He is a Christian who is active
in his youth group and he will be a senior next year. Doug informed me
that he has received permission to start a campus ministry club at
MEHS.  He is not exactly sure what it will look like but is very
excited that Young Life may be able to partner with him in an effort
to reach more kids.

   All these things are exciting and I they encourage me to know that
God is in control and can be trusted.  I will keep you posted as
things develop.

 Prayer requests:
       •Sitka Young Life left for Young Life camp this morning!  This
is the first time that Sitka Young Life is taking a group of kids to
high school camp in 3 years.  Pray that God would students would be
receptive to the message and that God would speak clearly to the
students going.  Also pray for wisdom and energy for the leaders. I
will not be going because our babies due date is also today (my
brother Ben’s Birthday).
     •The village of Galena.  I have a friend named Kim who has been
working with kids in a village called Galena.  Galena is a town of
about 500 people and it has a boarding school where Kim has worked.
Galena is currently the only village in Alaska that has Young Life.
Young Life has 14 volunteer leaders and they have had a great impact
on the kids of that area.  This break-up (spring) an ice jamb down
river from Galena caused the Yukon to reach new flood highs.  The
village was evacuated and the flood in Galena this spring became the
largest flood in Alaska’s recorded history.  The onsite director of
FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) said that this emergency
offered the most challenging circumstances he has ever faced.  After
the flood, temperatures soared to the mid 90’s, causing many of the
buildings and affected materials to produce a black toxic mold. Much
work needs done in order for residents to be able to move into their
houses, but the town is also running out of time.  Cold winter
temperatures will arrive in October and put an end to much of the
rebuilding efforts.   One of the greatest complications facing the
rebuilding efforts is that Galena is not on the road system and that
materials will need flown into the town… making the repairs even more
expensive.  Please pray for Kim and the residents of Galena as they
work around the clock to try and rebuild a town.  If you would like to
email Kim and offer encouragement or find out ways to get involved you
can email her at  galenarebuilders@gmail.com     Here is a YouTube
video that shows some of the damage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdCW5gzj4Hs


Galena flooded by the Yukon.  Notice all the chunks of ice and
imagine what damage they can do.

We love you guys and thanks for your prayers and support,
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment