Friday, August 23, 2013

A little about MEHS and me.

Sitka has always been a crossroads.  Three hundred years ago it was the capital of Russia- America and Sitka is has always been a center for commerce and education. Thousands of people visit Sitka today to enjoy its history and beauty, but there are 400 students who come from around the state to attend a boarding school called Mt. Edgecumbe High School.  These students, 95% of whom are Alaskan Natives, come from 200 towns and villages from across the state to get an education.  The highly esteemed school offers an excellent education . 
Ten years ago I came to Alaska to work in the dorms at Mt. Edgecumbe and it was there I was introduced to the people of Alaska. I was intrigued by village life and native culture and had a hunger to learn more.  I have learned about their families as I taught middle and high school and coached wrestling and track. I learned about pressures that kids face as I worked in a teen drug and alcohol center.   I saw the beauty and danger of village life when I volunteered at a rural Bible camp. I have seen teens demonstrate a desire for mentor relationships as I have volunteered with Young Life.  My experiences have shown me the beauty of the Alaska Native culture and I have seen the importance these people placed on family relations and humor.  I listened to stories of adventurous hunting trips and I heard what families must do in order to survive in artic temperatures. I have heard about picking berries, about going to fish camp, and have seen many great pieces of art. I have come to understand many beautiful things about these people, but I have also seen the difficulties that these people face. I heard kids share about the abuse that families face daily.  I have witnessed how drugs and alcohol are tearing apart individuals and families.  I have seen the effects of high sexual abuse rates and have learned how Alaska’s high suicide rate affects kids.  I have seen kids lose hope as they turn to negative things.  
In my time living in Alaska I have worked with many different groups of people around the state who want to make a difference in the lives of Alaskan youth.  Most groups attempt to address the needs of the kids holistically, but I have seen the most success with the groups who address the spiritual needs of the kids.  I have seen cycles of abuse ended when adolescence understand God’s grace and forgiveness.  I have personally witnessed how kids’ faces brighten when they understand God’s acceptance. I have seen kids’ lives changed when they experience God’s love.   I have seen families change when one person finds hope in Christ 
Last spring I was teaching 8th grade language arts and the director of Alaska Young Life approached me and asked if I would consider going on staff with Young Life in a new position created specifically to work with the students at MEHS.  That evening I talked with my wonderful wife Emily (who is a teacher and volunteer Young Life leader at MEHS) about working for Young Life. We prayed and decided to take the step of faith. In this new position I will have an opportunity to share God’s love and hope with these teens as they are away from home, during a time in their life when many are searching for answers.  These kids are ready to form relationships with adults.  I get to use my experiences and knowledge of statewide resources to build a support network for kids.  In a very real sense, the mission field of Alaska comes to one place and one school- and I get to be a part of a ministry that will have far reaching impacts.  
I am also excited because this new position means that I will be building a team of volunteers and supporters to share in this opportunity to bring Christ’s hope to people of Alaska.  We will need volunteers to walk with these kids and take them to Young Life club, campaigners, and camp.  We will need people to pray for the students and volunteers of Mt. Edgecumbe Young Life.  We will also need financial resources that will make it all possible.  Please pray for our work at MEHS and, through MEHS, for our work around the state of Alaska.
If you are interested in learning about the interaction between Alaskan Natives and the western world, you can find a good article by clicking HERE. It details the first interactions and describes how the Alaska Native Brotherhood and Alaska Native Sisterhood started. (It is very fascinating)

No comments:

Post a Comment